Sunday, January 11, 2009

Acts 19:1-7 Sermon on Baptism

This sermon was preached on January 11th. The text was taken from the Lectionary for this Sunday, The Baptism of Jesus. In meeting with members of the church to discuss the text beforehand, I found out there were a lot of background details that they needed to know in order to begin to understand what the text was talking about. Who are the disciples that are mentioned? Who is Apollos? Why doesn't he know about the Holy Spirit? These are some questions I try to answer in my long introduction.

The second half of the sermon focuses on when and how the Holy Spirit enters into our life based on examples from scripture, and then I go over several reasons for baptism.

My husband did the filming, and is still working on the correct aspect ratio. At the end of the sermon while the organ is playing the camera pans the front of the church. This video is 25 minutes long.